At this FAQ section you will have common questions and answers that I often receive relating to SEO and Web-Traffic.
FAQ - Traffic & Search Engine Optimization - SEO
There’s one guarantee with the Making Money Online niche. Without traffic, you won’t make any sales. Without sales, you won’t make any profit. Therefore it is traffic generation which makes or breaks an affiliate marketer.
There are several ways to generate traffic to your online products and they all fall into two categories:
- Paid Traffic.
- Free Traffic.
Paid traffic is fast. It is like turning on a “tap”, and you get traffic to your website. Free traffic takes much longer. Free traffic can, for example, be generated by creating content and sharing it online.
Depending on your particular circumstances and budget, you may decide to choose one method over another or a combination of both. Not all traffic is equal either. All traffic doesn’t convert to sales. You need targeted traffic to get the right people to your products.
Targeted traffic is the kind of website visitor who wants exactly what you have. If you are spending time or money creating content and advertising to sell affiliate products on the internet, you need to make sure you are promoting to the right people. Therefore, you want buyer traffic, not just any kind of traffic.
There’s a massive difference between targeted traffic and random traffic. Targeted traffic to your website (or offers) often turns into sales. Random traffic doesn’t.
Make sure you spend all your time focusing on creating content and advertising to the right audience for your products. Otherwise, you can end up wasting a lot of time and effort (and money).
Traffic with Content Creation
You can generate traffic to your website by creating and sharing content and this is probably the cheapest way to get started as an affiliate marketer.
By writing quality and compelling website content and sharing on social media you can generate interest in your chosen topic and bring visitors to your website from social media platforms and from the Search Engines.
This does take time and you need to write a lot of content to get regular targeted traffic to your website, but when the traffic is running through content creation, then it is very effective (and free).
Buying Traffic – Pay Per Click
Buying traffic and sending it directly to your website, your products or down your sales funnel is the fastest way to build an affiliate business.
Within a few hours, your adverts can be sending targeted traffic directly to your affiliate offers.
There’s a number of online platforms which allow you to do this and they allow you to test and measure all aspects of your online marketing. Google Adwords, Facebook, Bing, and Yahoo all have paid for advertising programs which anyone can join.
The fastest way to start an online business is to use a product with multiple income streams, which lets you benefit from a pre-built sales funnel. You can then simply send paid and well-target traffic directly to your offers.
Pay per click advertising allows you to build up your advertising expenditure slowly at a rate you can afford.
Once you are seeing a good return you can more easily scale paid for advertising by simply increase your daily paid advertising budget.
A common problem that many new bloggers face is not having anyone reading their blog when they start-up their new blog.
To get FREE traffic through the Search Engines can take time because first, the Search Engines have to learn about your blog/website, and see that you are making quality content at your blog/website before the Search Engines will start sending Free traffic to your blog/website.
I know all about the traffic issue in the start-up phase because I’ve been there too !
So here are 5 quick tips I have discovered to overcome this lack of traffic to my blog/website!
1. Create an email list and a freebie, and start promoting it BEFORE your launch your blog! You can read more about email marketing – Click Here
2. Join Facebook groups related to your blog niche and interact and create relationships with your potential readers. Then, promote your blog posts if the group rules allow it!
3. Learn everything you can about Pinterest. Pinterest is what gives most bloggers traffic from Social Media, so believe me when I say you want to learn how to master it!. You can read more about Pinterest Marketing – Click Here
4. ALWAYS create helpful, valuable content for your readers. Whenever writing a new post, then thinking about how valuable this post is going to be to your readers should be your #1 priority. Helpful articles will make your readers remember you and come back to your blog/website!
5. Start your blog the right way and get self-hosted from the start. This will give your blog so much more credibility, allow you to set up a beautiful & professional theme, allow you to have your own domain name which will be easier for your readers to remember and come back, and so much more.
I hope these tips will help you to bring more traffic to your new blog in the short run, but also remember to make proper Search Engine Optimization for your blog/website, because this will benefit your blog/website in the long run.
Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing your blog/website, and content on your blog/website so that the Search Engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo shows your content with relevant keywords as a top result, when people are searching for your relevant keyword.
In brief, SEO is the magic that makes your blog available for Search Engines and creates traffic to your blog/website.
But, it’s not just about finding the right keywords to rank for!
Wondering, what else SEO for your blog/website is about ?
Let me break SEO down for you;
- Relevancy – This is about to be relevant to a given topic.
- Authority – Authority in SEO terms is the qualitative that the Search Engines measure which strengthens the overall visibility and ranking of a website.
- Keyword optimized blog posts – You can read more about keyword optimized posts – Click Here
- General On-Site optimization – You can read more about on-site optimization – Click Here
- General Off-Site optimization – You can read more about of-site optimization – Click Here
- Website Speed – Website speed is your websites page load time and Google has indicated site speed (and as a result, page speed) is one of the signals used by its algorithm to rank pages.
- Website design – Web design is more than just publishing some content for your blog/website. Web-design is also a matter of creating your blog/website in a way, so it is fast and easy to navigate for your visitors, and is also a factor when ranking your blog/website.
- Trust (Authenticity and uniqueness) – Your blog/website will be ranked higher on specific Search Engine searches if the Search Engines see your blog/website a trustful site.
- Links (Internal, external and backlinks) – Website links play an important role with the SEO process of your blog/website. Links can be used to drive traffic to your website, navigate visitors to the right pages and improve your SEO presence.
Next time when you think why your post is not ranking on Google, make sure to focus on these things above as well 🙂
In the next section, I will talk more about how you can do SEO for your blog/website.
As mentioned in the previous section links to your website are important. This is because links are a great way to give your readers some more relevant information about a topic, and creating links are also a very an important element when building an efficient SEO strategy for your website.
Your readers can have a big benefit from relevant links and it is a very good way to increase your reader’s user experience.
Here I will mention 3 types of links relating to your website:
– External links.
– Internal links.
What are External links ?
When you insert a link to another website or blog from your own website – it is called an external or outbound link. External links are these kinds of links that take your readers/visitors from your website to content outside of your website.
You should not be afraid to use external links on your website. Sometimes bloggers are afraid of using external links because they are afraid of sending users away from their website, but when you connect your readers with great relevant information that helps your users to answer their question or solve their problem, then your readers will remember your website for that!
Relevant external links show that you are helping your readers and relevant external links are rewarded by the Search Engines by better ranking power for your website.
Therefore in every article I write then I try to use 1-2 external links to relevant authority sites, but you should also maintain a balance in your writing and not overdo your content with external links.
What are Internal Links ?
Internal links are the types of links that point to other pages on the same domain. Internal links are different from external links because external links take your readers out to webpages on other domains, while internal links keep your readers on the same website.
Internal links help the Search Engines to find, index and understand all of the webpages on your website. Therefore, internal linking is an important factor for any website that wants higher rankings in the Search Engines.
You should always have relevant internal links in your articles/posts because it is a way to help your reader to navigate around on your website. Therefore when you are linking to your own content with relevant internal links, your users follow these links and Google recognizes this as a signal that your website has something good and relevant to offer the visitors of your website.
Having relevant internal links also helps your readers staying longer time on your website and internal links can in that way also help your websites bounce rate. Bounce rate is an SEO factor that the Search Engines measures to determine the authority of your website.
Bounce rate is the percentage of visitors to your website who navigate away from your website after viewing only one page at your website. A high bounce rate tells the
Search Engines that people are leaving your website quickly after visiting it and a high bounce rate can be a signal, that the website doesn’t have very useful information
to the visitors. A low bounce rate tells the Search Engines that your visitors are visiting your website and then browsing around on other pages of your website looking for
more interesting information.
Therefore, it is important to have a lot of relevant internal links at your webpages to help your readers and to gain a low bounce rate, which will help your website to be looked like an authority website within your niche and hereby getting better rankings by the Search Engines.
What are Backlinks ?
A backlink is simply a link to your website from a source outside your website. In short, it is when an outside source “links back” to your website.
When you have a good number of backlinks from other authority websites in your niche, then it is an important factor for your websites SEO and ranking. The reason is, that
the Search Engines sees all these backlinks to your website as other websites value the content of your website and it is an important factor when deciding if your website should
be an authority website in your niche.
When the Search Engines see your website as an authority website in your niche, then your articles/posts will rank higher in the Search Engines.
When you focus on backlinks it is very important to focus on creating quality content and getting backlinks the RIGHT WAY and don’t try to cheat the Search Engines by “fake”
backlinks from link farms or black-hat SEO. If the Search Engines find out that you are trying to cheat the system, then you risk a penalty of your website and that can affect your websites Search Engine Rankings in a very bad way.
Therefore focus on creating quality content and getting backlinks the correct way that will create real authority and rankings for your website, that won’t disappear overnight when the Search Engines periodically changes its algorithm for catching the cheaters of the system.
In my opinion, WordPress is the king of the hill when it comes to blogging platforms and you can see how popular the free WordPress platform is when it supports more than 70 million websites online. If you are building your website through the WordPress platform THE RIGHT WAY, you have the potential to get massive of free traffic coming to your website, and can create a consistent and part-time or full-time income!
One of your key-factors about the SEO optimization of your WordPress blog/website is your websites page-speed.
One of the most important issues, that can slow your website is non-optimized images. If the images of your website are not optimized, then your images can simply take up too much space memory-wise and make your website very slow to load.
As mentioned your website speed is a key factor in your Search Engine ranking, and therefore it is important that you optimize the images of your website.
If you use the WordPress platform for your website, then you are able to optimize the images of your website automatically. Many people like to know how to edit and resize your images, but why not save that time and use a free plugin that can do everything about optimizing your images for your website in the background ?
My favorite free plugin for optimizing images in WordPress is called Smush Image Compression and Optimization, also known as WP Smush.
The great thing about the WP Smush plugin is, that not only will WP Smush resize the images of your website automatically, but WP Smush will also strip hidden bulky information from your images to reduce their file size without losing quality. This is known as image compression.
Therefore use the WP Smush plugin for your WordPress website to automize your image optimization and this will help your websites page-speed.
To summarize all the benefits of image optimization:
- Your website will be faster.
- Your websites Page-speed score will be better.
- When your websites page-speed improve, then the Search Engines will like your website more and your websites search engine rankings will improve.
- Your website will need less storage on your servers and your website will spend fewer resources on servers, which will save you money.
- Your website will save mobile data plan money for yourself and your visitors.
If done correctly, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – will benefit your blog/website in four ways:
- Good SEO will allow your website to come up in search results for the most profitable search queries (also called keywords);
- Good SEO will improve your Search Engine rankings – that is, the position at which a page from your website appears in the search engine results;
- Good SEO will ensure that the best page from your website appears in the results for each individual search query; and
- Good SEO will improve the clickthrough rate to your website – that is, the ratio of users who click on your result as opposed to all others.
Performing good SEO is the only way for your website to rank higher in the search results without paying for advertising.
Good SEO helps you maximize the benefits of Search Engines as a marketing channel for your blog/website and good SEO can send a lot of FREE and relevant traffic to your blog/website.
So here is a SEO Checklist for newbies:
CONTENT THAT DELIVERS
- You must produce quality content.
- Sometimes you need to reconstruct the format of the content (infographics, guides, blogposts).
- Remember to write for readers, know what your readers want.
- Often it is a good idea to give additional benefits to your readers – For example a freebie.
- Use targeted keywords.
- When you choose keywords, then imagine what your readers are looking for when they hit the “search bar” at the Search Engines.
- Use long tail keywords, because they have lower competition and are more easy to rank for.
- Insert keywords SMARTLY in the content – means use your keywords in a natural way, so you don’t trouble your readers!
- Your headline should be well-written, so people want to read your post/article.
- The title tag should have your main keyword.
- Keep the title under 55 characters, including the keyword.
- Try if you can use the keyword at the beginning of the title.
- Make sure the description is under 150-160 characters.
- The meta description should have the main targeted keyword.
- The description should completely define the content inside the post/article.
- Make a compelling meta description so that your readers find it interesting and appealing to CLICK at.
SUBHEADINGS – H2, H3
- Use keywords intelligently in H2 headings.
- Use relevant keywords in the H3 headings.
- Add appropriate links to your posts/articles – both outgoing links and internal links.
- A good website for outgoing links is Wikipedia
- The visitor should find your blog pages informative and highly valuable.
- Engage your readers with your content.
ALT TEXT FOR IMAGES
- Make sure to add alt text for your blog images.
- Remember to use KEYWORDS in the alt text.
- Your blog visual should also be optimized for SEO.
YOAST SEO PLUGIN – WORDPRESS
- You should add YOAST SEO plugin to your WordPress blog.
- Yoast plugin is free and easy to use.
IMPROVE YOUR PAGE SPEED
- Test your blog speed for good SEO results.
- Use free tools like Google Pagespeed, Pingdom or GTmetrix to check the performance of your website speed.
- Make necessary changes to your cache, image optimization, and any coding to improve page speed.